Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Going Postal

Went in this morning to have my hair, breath and pee analyzed for signs of drug abuse as per requirement of my re-hire with Baker, and I met a guy who said he had a masters in History, was in the Army as a Ranger-Special Forces for 7 years doing tactical all over the world.  Then he said he had five kids-the oldest was 22,  and two grandkids.  He's managed to squeeze a lot in the last 22 years or so.  It's not that I don't believe him, but he looked maybe 30 to 35?  I guess tactical work keeps you young?
He initiated the conversation after watching a preview of some show on the National Geographic channel that chronicled some Army guys over seas.  He was visibly disappointed and commented on how "soft" the Rangers were now, especially since Clinton was POTUS.   I was trying to ignore the fact that he was sporting FedEx garb while filling out paperwork for an "on the job" injury.   "They don't do it like they used to do it when I was in..." he chirped.  "MmHmm..." was all I could muster.  To Kelli's credit, she managed some legitimate recourse with him while I just sat and listened.  
The thing is, in my experience, the guys/gals that have actually thrown together a similar resume tend to not talk about it.  Particularly the military experience.  I don't know why, maybe they feel like they don't have anything else to prove to anyone because they think, "been there, done that, know what I'm capable of and you're welcome", or maybe they'd just rather not discuss it with someone that can't relate.   I know I couldn't begin to wrap my head around what our soldiers are putting up with over seas.  I'm wondering if FedEx guy is just playing way too much XBox....especially after he began to sing the merits of the "safety shot" when you're clearing a room--you shoot everyone again to make sure they're dead so they can't fake it and shoot you in the back on the way out.  Sounds like something you discuss with someone you know will understand, who's "been there" as well.   Either that, or you discuss it with the other 12 year olds online with you at the time, as you work your way through town on Call of Duty.  
So far the only thing we had in common was that he had to use one of those pens with a flower taped to the end, just like me.  "These doctors offices are getting "soft"", I thought.  Coffee for poeple who have to wait, magazines, television, cushy chairs....not like when I was a kid.  
I finally got the call to go back and fill up the cup and get my hair snipped, but frankly, I was relieved when he wasn't in the lobby anymore when I came back out.   If he really did everything he says he did, that's great, our country and our lives are better for it I think.  We've become the greatest nation on earth because of volunteers and hard workers, no doubt.  But after this morning, I think I'll stick with postal workers for now. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging! You have the bEST way w/ words in relaying stories like this. LOVE it! (And I totally agree...in my experience people who have those rockstar resumes don't tell the stranger in the waiting room about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from you, that honestly means something...a million thank yous M-dizzle....a million!

    ReplyDelete