Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Is anyone there?"..."I answered the phone didn't I?"..."Oh, yeah, is Charlie there?"

At 3:44 this morning the phone rang for the first time and abruptly stopped.  It rang again 2 minutes later...same number, then stopped.  This simple and irritating occurance got my head spinning and screwed up the next hour of slumber for me.  This morning, I hate the invention of the "cell phone". 
I'm sure we''ve all heard or read the tales of the "drunk dial" to an ex or someone who the "dialer" really needs to talk to--usually at an inhumane hour and undoubtedly slurred and indecipherable.  This morning I'm thinking these occurances have probably increased logrithmically with the appearance of cell phones. 
Think about what it must have been like, even just 20-30 years ago....late night, back from the club, you fight your way around your tiny apartment through dirty laundry and fast food wrappers to find the big hunk of a yellow rotary phone and think...."I need to talk to her again...", only to pass out halfway through dialing what was probably the wrong number anyway.  So much effort involved.  Now, with one touch dialing or voice recog or tear-drop on the touch screen dialing, there is no effort at all....I mean, if you can "butt dial" a cell, where's the thought and effort? 
That's another thing....who memorizes phone numbers anymore?  Are cell's making us a little more mathmatically regressed?  When math scores in third world countries start climbing in proportion to ours dropping, don't say I didn't tell you so.
Maybe it's just the lack of sleep driving this rant, but at least I didn't call and leave it on your cell.
Okay, I'm hanging up now....
Bye.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite:

    "late night, back from the club, you fight your way around your tiny apartment through dirty laundry and fast food wrappers to find the big hunk of a yellow rotary phone and think...."I need to talk to her again..."

    Somehow you just know how to capture the moments that mean the most in life. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete